Studios Alberta Ltd. provides adequate affordable housing primarily, but not exclusively, for AISH recipients in private, self-contained suites. Tenants must be able to live independently, but tenants with outreach, health or social workers are very welcome.
We define “adequate” as
- easy to maintain and furnish
Each bachelor suite is totally self-contained with a private entrance opening onto a common courtyard. Our properties have no hallways.
Our properties are conveniently located within easy walking distance of community services and businesses such as pharmacies, clinics, grocery stores, laundromats and convenience stores.
Studios Alberta Ltd.’s projects have rules, which are enforced. Disruptive, disturbing or illegal conduct will not be tolerated. A copy of a lease, which includes the Rules of Studios Alberta Ltd., can be found on the Forms page.
Due to the nature of the projects, the Landlord is more involved in day-to-day management than might otherwise be the case.
Other than water/sewer, which is provided, each suite is utility independent. Suites are equipped with a heating/air conditioning unit (HVAC) and hot water heater. Electrical utility consumption, not including distribution costs, should not exceed an annual average of $70 per month.
CONSTRUCTION AND DESIGN
European-style courtyard between the two buildings. Central sidewalk with branches to each building, dusk-to-dawn pot lights and picnic tables surrounded by shrubs and trees.
Each suite is separated by two 2 x 4 walls with a 1″ airspace and a soundproofing board between these walls. The 2 x 4s are staggered with “Safe and Sound” insulation on each side. There are two sheets of fire-rated drywall placed on each separating wall.
Note: Soundproofing is measured by STC (Sound Transmission Coefficient) frequency, which in Studios Alberta buildings exceeds 55 and gives more than adequate soundproofing to enhance privacy and comfort.
- Galley style with cabinets and layout custom designed by Ponoka Cabinet Makers Ltd.
- Microwave shelf and bank of drawers
- Kitchen taps are heavy-duty levered to reduce stress damage and maintenance
- Sinks are custom ordered to reduce size while still providing double basins
- High quality stove and self-defrosting fridge are included
Main Living Area
- Over-sized, high quality vinyl clad, energy efficient windows
- Closet area with extra shelving for storage
- Two locations for phone and cable/TV for layout flexibility
- Low maintenance PVC blackout vertical blinds
- Tenant-controlled, thermostatically regulated heat
- Quality high performance toilets
- Large vanity with ample cupboard and counter-top space
- 24″ triple-mirrored medicine cabinet
- Heavy duty levered taps to reduce stress damage and maintenance
- Hardwired exhaust fan to control humidity
- Single shower stall
Heating, Ventilating and Air Conditioning
Each suite has its own thermostatically controlled heating, ventilating and air conditioning unit (HVAC).
- Separate electrical panels in each suite
- High efficiency fluorescent lighting
- Multiple electrical outlets through the kitchen and main living area
The following locations each have two barrier-free suites designed for use by individuals with a handicap or requiring a wheelchair:
- Westwind Studios (Olds)
- Norwood Studios (Drumheller)
- Landell Studios (Vegreville)
- Sierra Studios (Three Hills)
These suites are the same size as the regular suites (325 sq ft) and contain the following features:
- wheelchair turning circle area in the bathroom and kitchen
- counter-tops and bathroom vanity lowered to 30 inches
- upper cabinets lowered
- “D” handles on all cabinets
- clearance under kitchen and bathroom sinks for wheelchairs
- handicap shower with a built-in seat and 3/4 inch shower entry lip
- convenient shower taps and handheld shower head
- lowered closet shelving and closet rod
- lowered light switches and circuit box
- electrical outlets and cable/TV and telephone jacks raised to wheelchair height
- low threshold exterior door and levered handle
- lowered main windows
- built-in counter-top cook-top and a 24 inch wall oven with side-swing door
Our housing developments were funded by the Government of Canada through Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation and by the Province of Alberta through Alberta Housing and Urban Affairs, under the Canada-Alberta Affordable Housing Agreement.
We are pleased to provide quality housing for the residents of our projects, at an affordable cost.